When it comes to applying lipstick, there are many different ways to go about getting your perfect look, and it begins with lip care. Regardless if you are the type of person who loves a bright, bold look or a natural, sleek shine, these tips and techniques will help you to achieve your best lipstick application.
Before applying your lipstick, it’s smart to give your kissers a little spa day. Exfoliating your lips allows them to both look and feel healthy by getting rid of any dead skin that may be present on the lips. When your lips are chapped or there are dead skin cells hanging around on your lips, it can look and feel dry and rough. Once those dead skin cells are removed, not only will your lips feel magical, but it provides you with a nice, fresh surface for applying lipstick. While you can buy lip scrubs at the store, there are many safe and effective tools and ingredients you can find in your own home in order to create your own lip exfoliator. This can also help you avoid chemicals found in many lip scrubs you can buy at the store.
Follow these steps to achieve smooth, clean, exfoliated lips:
- Remove any makeup present on your lips
- Apply petroleum jelly or a lip balm for hydration
- Take an old, soft bristle toothbrush and gently rub the bristles on your lips in a circular motion. For ultra-sensitive lips, try using an extra-soft children’s toothbrush
Mix a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice with a tablespoon of castor oil, and apply to your lips. Leave this mixture on for about an hour or so, and then gently rub off with a soft washcloth damp with warm water.
There are many other natural household ingredients you can utilize to exfoliate your lips, such as homemade sugar scrubs. Once your lips are prepped and silky smooth, you are ready to apply lipstick. After exfoliation, be sure to apply a moisturizer to add back some of the hydration that you stripped away from your lips.
Moving forward to your actual lipstick application, our number one tip for application is to make sure you are applying a vegan, cruelty-free lipstick from a natural cosmetic brand. This is not only better for your body, but does not harm animals or the environment. To learn more about the importance of choosing cruelty-free cosmetics, check out this blog.
For beautifully applied lipstick:
- Blot away any excess lip balm after you have let it sink in to your lips for a few minutes, as this can interfere with the application of lipliner and cruelty free lipstick.
- Believe it or not, cover your lips with a thin layer of your concealer with your finger or a sponge. This creates a base for your lip color to stick to, creating a long-lasting color. If you want the longest-lasting wear possible, opt for a waterproof concealer.
- Proceed to reverse line your lips with your concealer, as this keeps your bold lip color in place all day. Lip colors tend to bleed past your natural lip line, and reverse lining your lips with concealer creates a barrier to prevent this from happening. Just be sure to blend it into the skin with your finger after applying to ensure a natural look.
- Apply lip liner to the edges of your lips. This is a great way to really define your lip shape, and can create a more intense color on your lips when paired with a matching lipstick. Lining your lips with lipliner also helps to prevent lipstick from bleeding and allow for long-lasting wear.
- For longest wearing lip color, apply a matte lipstick onto your lips directly from the tube. Dry textures from matte lipsticks prevent the color from fading as easily. After you’ve applied this first layer, blot the color by lightly pressing a tissue to your lips to remove any excess product. This helps to ensure long-lasting color.
- Place a tissue over your lips and lightly dust setting powder through it with a fluffy powder brush. This step really helps to set your lipstick, allowing for your bold color to last throughout the day.
- Apply a final layer of your cruelty free lipstick. In order to prevent it from smearing, try and keep this layer nice and light.
Voilà! Now you have beautifully applied your cruelty-free lipstick and are ready to take on the town (or work, or wherever you plan on going with your poppin’ lip color). We hope these lip care and application tips and tricks help you achieve your desired lip look. If you are still searching for the perfect lip color to match your style, check out our selection of natural lipsticks and lip glosses at Altfore that are gluten, cruelty, and paraben-free. We can’t wait to help you look and feel your best!